From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: cassandra 0.6.0 beta 2 download contains beta 1?
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:34:35 GMT
On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 13:21 -0500, Vick Khera wrote:
> As a newcomer, I started by reading the wiki and following examples.
> The quick-start guide failed, so I just backed out of the beta to the
> released version.  The wiki recommends using the beta release to
> protect against on-disk format changes that may happen.

Ok, that makes sense. http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/GettingStarted
has generally targeted the current release, so a change like this
wouldn't be documented there until after making it into a stable.

> Is it really good to make ant necessary to use the binary
> distribution?

If we're going to get into this in any depth, we should probably start
another thread, but as I indicated in the ticket[1], this change was
introduced to solve real problems we were having with dependency
management. Basically, we traded:

* manual, tedious, and error prone task(s)
* the legal requirement to document licensing and attribution

For:

* requiring network access (though I seem to be the only one that
considers this a major drawback).
* requiring ant to be installed
* one extra step prerequisite step (invoking `ant ivy-retrieve')

So what this really boils down to is a question of which is worse, the
disease or the cure.

Bare in mind though that despite the best of intentions, license and
attribution was not being kept up with properly which results in legal
risks that are unacceptable to the ASF. It's also worth pointing out
that the dependency tree has seen quite a bit of churn in addition to
more than doubling in size (and every indication is that this will
continue in the near-term).

> Might as well just stop distributing the binary if you need a
> developer environment to use it anyway.

Maybe we should. :)

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-850

--