From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: Effective allocation of multiple disks
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:01:27 GMT
On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 23:20 -0600, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Anthony Molinaro
> <anthonym@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> > I would almost
> > recommend just keeping things simple and removing multiple data
> directories
> > from the config altogether and just documenting that you should plan
> on using
> > OS level mechanisms for growing diskspace and io.
>
> I think that is a pretty sane suggestion actually.

Or maybe leave the code as is and just document the situation more
clearly? If you're adding more disks to increase storage capacity and
you don't strictly need the extra IO, then multiple data directories
might be preferable to other forms of aggregation (it's certainly
simpler than say a volume manager).

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com