From Matthew Stump <mrevilgn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How reliable is cassandra?
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:21:59 GMT
I'm not too worried about ACLs, I'm going to have to tunnel Cassandra through SSL and for most
deployments the data that matters will be encrypted using fairly large key sizes.  The nodes
that aren't allowed to store private keys will probably access data through a Thrift API which
will use our own permission scheme.

On Mar 29, 2010, at 10:33 AM, Joe Stump wrote:

On Mar 29, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Matthew Stump wrote:

> Am I crazy to want to switch our server's primary data store from postgres to cassandra?
 This is a system used by banks and governments to store crypto keys which absolutely can
not be lost.

You might be crazy. PostgreSQL has all sorts of ACLs and other features for locking down various
portions of the system. Cassandra has none of that, that I'm aware of.

That being said, if you're looking for fault-tolerance across data centers Cassandra is probably
a better option. Just make sure you're writing and reading with the highest consistency level
possible.

Finally, you have a really rad last name. I approve.

--Joe