From Brandon Williams <dri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best design in Cassandra
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 23:31:40 GMT
On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Erik Holstad <erikholstad@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey!
> Have a couple of questions about the best way to use Cassandra.
> Using the random partitioner + the multi_get calls vs order preservation +
> range_slice calls?

When you use an OPP, the distribution of your keys becomes your problem.  If
you don't have an even distribution, this will be reflected in the load on
the nodes, while the RP gives you even distribution.

What is the benefit of using multiple families vs super column?

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-598 is currrently why I
prefer simple CFs instead of supercolumns.

> For example in the case of sorting
> in different orders. One good thing that I can see here when using super
> column is that you don't
> have to restart your cluster every time you want to add something new
> order.

A supercolumn can still only compare subcolumns in a single way.

When http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-44 is completed, you
will be able to add CFs without restarting.

-Brandon