From envio user <enviou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: get_slice() slow if more number of columns present in a SCF.
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:15:48 GMT
Hi Nate,

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 12:31 AM, Nathan McCall <nate@vervewireless.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the benchmarks. What version of Cassandra are you using?
I am using 0.5 release.
> I had about 80% performance improvement on single node reads after
> using a trunk build with the results from
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-688 (result caching)
> and playing around with the configuration. I am not yet running this
> in production though, so I cannot provide any real numbers.

Do you any specific config parameters needs to be used for this purpose?

> That said, I have no intention of deploying a single node. I keep
> seing performance concerns from folks on small or single node
> clusters. My impression so far is that Cassandra may not be the right
> solution for these types of deployments.

As part of evaluation we are testing cassandra with single node. I
agree for deployment it is not good having just single node.

<<snip>>

> What I found to have been most valuable for my evaluation was to get a
> good test together with some real data from our system and then add
> nodes, remove nodes, break nodes, etc. and watch what happens. Once I
> finish with this, it looks like I will have some solid numbers to do
> some capacity planning for figuring out exactly how much hardware to
> purchase and when I will need to add more.
We are just doing some basic tests. If cassandra passes these tests,
may be we will do tests you mentioned later.

thanks,
-Aita