From Brian Frank Cooper <coop...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: Cassandra versus HBase performance study
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 21:54:12 GMT
Yes, 0.5 is significantly faster. I have uploaded a new PDF of the slides, so if you grab it
again and look at slides 16 and 17 you'll see some direct comparisons of 0.4.2 and 0.5. The
older slides (9 and 10) still reflect 0.4.2. At some point I'll replace those with data from
version 0.5, as well as update the paper; I just haven't gotten to it yet...

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Holsman [mailto:ian@holsman.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:40 PM
To: cassandra-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cassandra versus HBase performance study

Hi Brian.
was there any performance changes on the other tests with v0.5 ?
the graphs on the other pages looks remarkably identical.

On Feb 4, 2010, at 11:45 AM, Brian Frank Cooper wrote:

> 0.5 does seem to be significantly faster - the latency is better and it provides significantly
more throughput. I'm updating my charts with new values now.

> One thing that is puzzling is the scan performance. The scan experiment is to scan between
1-100 records on each request. My 6 node Cassandra cluster is only getting up to about 230
operations/sec, compared to >1400 ops/sec for other systems. The latency is quite a bit
higher. A chart with these results is here:

> http://www.brianfrankcooper.net/pubs/scans.png
>
> Is this the expected performance? I'm using the OrderPreservingPartitioner with InitialToken
values that should evenly partition the data (and the amount of data in /var/cassandra/data
is about the same on all servers). I'm using get_range_slice() from Java (code snippet below).

> At the max throughput (230 ops/sec), when latency is over 1.2 sec, CPU usage varies from
~5% to ~72% on different boxes. Disk busy varies from 60% to 90% (and the machine with the
busiest disk is not the one with highest CPU usage.) Network utilization (eth0 %util both
in and out) varies from 15%-40% on different boxes. So clearly there is some imbalance (and
the workload itself is skewed via a Zipfian distribution) but I'm surprised that the latencies
are so high even in this case.

> Code snippet - fields is a Set<String> listing the columns I want; recordcount
is the number of records to return.

--
Ian Holsman
Ian@Holsman.net