From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OOM Exception
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:29:51 GMT
How large are the log files being replayed?

Can you attach the log from a replay attempt?

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Brian Burruss <bburruss@real.com> wrote:
> sorry, thought i included everything ;)
>
> however, i am using beta2

started from a fresh database a couple days ago and have been adding 2k blocks of data keyed
off a random integer at the rate of about 400/sec.  i have a 2 node cluster, RF=2, Consistency
for read/write is ONE.  there are ~70,420,082 2k blocks of data in the database.

>> i used the default memory setup of Xmx1G when i started a couple days ago.  as the
database grew to ~180G (reported by unix du command) both servers OOM'ed at about the same
time, within 10 minutes of each other.  well needless to say, my cluster is dead.  so i
upped the memory to 3G and the servers tried to come back up, but one died again with OOM.

>> Before cleaning the disk and starting over a couple days ago, i played the game of
"jack up the RAM", but eventually i didn't want to up it anymore when i got to 5G.  the parameter,
SSTable.INDEX_INTERVAL, was discussed a few days ago that would change the number of "keys"
cached in memory, so i could modify that at the cost of read performance, but doing the math,
3G should be plenty of room.

>> it seems like startup requires more RAM than just normal running.
>>
>> so this of course concerns me.
>>
>> i have the hprof files from when the server initially crashed and when it crashed
trying to restart if anyone wants them