From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: StorageService versus Thrift interface?
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 01:53:46 GMT
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Paul Brown <paulrbrown@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm making some design decisions about using the
> StorageService/StorageProxy and Thrift interface approaches, and it
> looks like there are some moving pieces to consider.  (Someone should
> update or remove the example on the wiki, as it no longer applies to
> the API as shipped in 0.5.0.)

Which example do you mean?

> The StorageService/StorageProxy approach looks appealing, but it also
> had a few things that I have at least aesthetic objections to
> (promotion of IOException to IOError, System.exit(), static
> singletons, etc.).

Patches welcome, of course.

> What are people in the Java space using?  What's the intended future
> for StorageService/StorageProxy versus Thrift API access?

IMO you should use Thrift unless you have a compelling reason
otherwise.  Thrift _very roughly_ adds about 30% overhead, but if you
can live with that it's a lot more battle-tested and I expect it to be
more stable for the next release or two.  AFAIK only one-off bulk
loaders and proof of concepts have been done with the StorageProxy
API.

-Jonathan