From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Very simple benchmark - are this typical numbers?
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 16:18:08 GMT
can you reproduce using stress.py ?

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Timo Nentwig <timo.nentwig@wooga.net> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2009, at 7:23 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>
>> same thing, you are going to need multiple threads to max it out
>
> I created up to 100 threads and read randomly. Some speed up but not actually mentionable.
The threads didn't load the CPU mentionably either. I noticed that the thread dump was full
of Thift (TBinaryProtocol something) InputStream.read(), 10MiB constant read from HD.

>> but yes, reads are typically slower than writes in cassandra because
>> of how the log-based merge structures work

>>> When writing, yes. But I would expect reading to be much faster (?). Re-executing
the read test doesn't speed up things either (I/O caches).

write n times something with key==value==testInsertAndGetAndRemove_n (one thread).

free mem however I didn't check) this took 40min (insert()ing one after another). Reading
them one by one in sequence delivers about 100/s, reading in 1.000er batches (i.e. multigetColumn())
takes 5-10s (depending on n, the higher the slower).