From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Persistently increasing read latency
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 19:10:00 GMT
1) use jconsole to see what is happening to jvm / cassandra internals.
 possibly you are slowly exceeding cassandra's ability to keep up with
writes, causing the jvm to spend more and more effort GCing to find
enough memory to keep going

2) you should be at least on 0.4.2 and preferably trunk if you are
stress testing

-Jonathan

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Freeman, Tim <tim.freeman@hp.com> wrote:
> In an 8 hour test run, I've seen the read latency for Cassandra drift fairly linearly
from ~460ms to ~900ms.  Eventually my application gets starved for reads and starts misbehaving.
 I have attached graphs -- horizontal scales are seconds, vertical scales are operations
per minute and average milliseconds per operation.  The clearest feature is the light blue
line in the left graph drifting consistently upward during the run.

> I have a Cassandra 0.4.1 database, one node, records are 100kbytes each, 350K records,
8 threads reading, around 700 reads per minute.  There are also 8 threads writing.  This
is all happening on a 4 core processor that's supporting both the Cassandra node and the code
that's generating load for it.  I'm reasonably sure that there are no page faults.

> I have attached my storage-conf.xml.  Briefly, it has default values, except RpcTimeoutInMillis
is 30000 and the partitioner is OrderPreservingPartitioner.  Cassandra's garbage collection
parameters are:

>   -Xms128m -Xmx1G -XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled

> Is this normal behavior?  Is there some change to the configuration I should make to
get it to stop getting slower?  If it's not normal, what debugging information should I gather?
 Should I give up on Cassandra 0.4.1 and move to a newer version?