From Joseph Bowman <bowman.jos...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions about optmizing interaction with Cassandra
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:27:56 GMT
Greetings,

Jsondra has turned from a quick hack, into something I'm going to invest
some time into and get right. One of the things I'm looking at is that
Jsondra could potentially be used as a way to optimize reads, by acting as a
cache as well. Basically, the requirement at this point would need to be
that Jsondra be the only way applications talk to Cassandra. Something along
the lines of

read request = check memory cache, if it exists return, else query
Cassandra, if it exists cache and return, else return does not exist
write request = update cached item or create new one, write to Cassandra

Jsondra could be clustered by load balancing and using memcached for the
cache at this point.

The restriction being that if anything writes to Cassandra, there's no way
to update the cache (unless you have that application interact with
memcached as well).

Before I start working on something like this, I need to ask, is it even
necessary? Would it really provide a performance increase worth the added
complexity and dependence on things like memcached? I recall someone at Digg
gave a presentation where they found that Cassandra was fast even without
implementing a memcached layer. Does anyone on the list have any
suggestions/comments about this idea?