From Paul Brown <paulrbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: StorageService versus Thrift interface?
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 06:36:07 GMT
Hi, Jonathan --

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Paul Brown <paulrbrown@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm making some design decisions about using the
>> StorageService/StorageProxy and Thrift interface approaches, and it
>> looks like there are some moving pieces to consider.  (Someone should
>> update or remove the example on the wiki, as it no longer applies to
>> the API as shipped in 0.5.0.)
> Which example do you mean?

The example I have in mind is in the Java section of
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ClientExamples; it starts out with
StorageService.instance().initClient(), and the initClient method
isn't present on the version of the class that is part of the
0.5.0-beta snapshot.

>> The StorageService/StorageProxy approach looks appealing, but it also
>> had a few things that I have at least aesthetic objections to [...]
> Patches welcome, of course.

I'm happy to take a pass over it, so long as I know that it's expected
to be a long-term part of the system and that someone else isn't
already working on it.

>> What are people in the Java space using?  What's the intended future
>> for StorageService/StorageProxy versus Thrift API access?
> IMO you should use Thrift unless you have a compelling reason
> otherwise. [...]

Stable subset is the place to be — Thrift it is, then.

--
paulrbrown@gmail.com
http://mult.ifario.us/