From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: bandwidth limiting Cassandra's replication and access control
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 02:26:57 GMT
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Coe, Robin <robin.coe@bluecoat.com> wrote:
> I completely agree with Ian but would also like to add a point about the
> proposed service.  As was presented, the authentication is to be performed
> at the Thrift API layer, not the CLI layer.  In a relational database
> environment, this would be equivalent to connections opened over a
> network.  In this environment, all connections share the same user account,
> which is not per-user authentication.

As Ian points out, most applications get by fine with a single user.
So keyspace auth provides app level auth, not really user-level.
Which is a great 80% solution.  (Really more like 95% I would say.)

> I would still like to understand why there is the need to impose a keyspace
> binding, from a security standpoint.

You don't want any app to be able to accidentally or maliciously touch
another's data.  Jonathan Mischo gave a bunch of excellent reasons why
this is so.

> Beyond that, how will tokens be shared amongst all
> the nodes in a cluster

they don't need to be.

> such that a user returning to a different node
> maintains the keyspace binding and do so without affecting performance?

We're only trying to provide authentication, not some cross-connection
session.  Each connection will authenticate individually.

-Jonathan
/gave up on trying to move this to -dev