From Jun Rao <jun...@almaden.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cassandra over hbase
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:58:08 GMT

After chatting with some Facebook guys, we realized that one potential
benefit from using HDFS is that the recovery from losing partial data in a
node is more efficient. Suppose that one lost a single disk at a node. HDFS
can quickly rebuild the blocks on the failed disk in parallel. This is a
bit hard to do in cassandra, since we can't easily find the data on the
failed disk from another node. So, when this happens, the whole node
probably has to be taken out and bootstrapped. The same problem exists when
a single sstable file is corrupted.

Jun
IBM Almaden Research Center
K55/B1, 650 Harry Road, San Jose, CA  95120-6099

junrao@almaden.ibm.com