From Ted Zlatanov <...@lifelogs.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra access control
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:29:40 GMT
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:23:21 -0600 Jonathan Mischo <jmischo@quagility.com> wrote:

JM> The problem I see with this is that you can't have a single connection
JM> accessing multiple keyspaces at once.  I can think of some cases where
JM> having a single connection access and differentiate between two
JM> keyspaces would be advantageous, especially in certain kinds of
JM> reporting applications.  Otherwise, you force the creation and
JM> maintenance of multiple connection pools on the client side, which
JM> isn't as resource efficient.

JM> This goes back to the concept we were talking about on IRC yesterday
JM> where a single user may have access to more than one keyspace.  If you
JM> authenticate and the system authorizes access to multiple keyspaces,
JM> you should have access to them from the same connection, IMHO, since
JM> that's a pretty well established pattern.

It would also keep the API the same as it is now, just adding a login()
method.  I am mildly in favor of allowing multiple keyspaces but
Jonathan Ellis seems to prefer the other variant and he made some valid
points too.  I don't know if you guys want to vote or what, but I can
get started with the auth backend work regardless of the API direction.

Ted