From Ted Zlatanov <...@lifelogs.com>
Subject bandwidth limiting Cassandra's replication and access control
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:15:28 GMT
I'm evaluating Cassandra as a storage mechanism for monitoring data:
machine and process status reports, inventory, etc.

One of my concerns is bandwidth usage; I don't want Cassandra
replication traffic swamping more important traffic.  I want to know if
there's a way to limit the bandwidth usage within Cassandra or if I have
to resort to network-level QoS rules instead.  QoS rules get a little
complicated when you try to distinguish traffic within the data center
from traffic to the outside; I was hoping to avoid that.

I also would really like a way to limit access to the Thrift interface
with at least some rudimentary username/password combination.  I don't
see a way to do that currently.

Thanks for any help
Ted