From "Coe, Robin" <robin....@bluecoat.com>
Subject RE: Re: bandwidth limiting Cassandra's replication and access control
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:18:18 GMT
Do you mean that users interacting with Cassandra through the CLI should
be restricted based on a security service?  I agree.  However, I believe
the more common case is to front the Cassandra service with an
application layer, as you would expose a relational backend.  For that
kind of service, the application should control the security.

Basically, a user request to Cassandra is not stateful; any request
should be able to perform a transaction against any node in the cluster,
using an appropriate consistency model for the request.  Requiring
something like real time token synchronization across all nodes in a
cluster seems outside of Cassandra's  eventual consistency model.

Securing the data is intrinsically application-specific.  While I could
see adding a plugin that makes the CLI access point secured, I would
still want that to be made in a pluggable fashion, so it could be
swapped out with a custom implementation.

Of course, this is just my point of view, but I make it after having
written several security layers on J2EE apps over the years and none of
them have been the same.  Besides that, I want the data layer to be
highly efficient and in my opinion, it isn't the work of the data
service to impose security.

Robin.