From TuxRacer69 <tuxrace...@gmail.com>
Subject newbie questions about Cassandra J. Ellis presentation
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:20:12 GMT
Hello Cassandra Users!

On the wiki page:
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArticlesAndPresentations
there is a link to J. Ellis pdf:
http://assets.en.oreilly.com/1/event/27/Cassandra_%20Open%20Source%20Bigtable%20+%20Dynamo%20Presentation.pdf

At page 41 we have: (Roadmap) Cassandra 0.5
Cassandra 0.5
Millions of columns per row
This will require another data format change

Question 1:
-----------------
Is there any Jira logged for this change yet?
I'd like to understand
a) if a full data rebuild will be necessary for upgrading from 0.4.X to 0.5
b) what the limitations currently are in Cassandra.
- How many keys per column family
- How many columns per key in a standard column family
- How many columns per key in a super column family, and how many
subcolumns within a supercolumn key

Page http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/CassandraLimitations
says "The main limitation on column and supercolumn size is that all
data for a single key and column must fit (on disk) on a single machine
in the cluster." but that does not really answer the questions above (as
know we can have 1Tb disk cheaply)

Question 2:
Page 15 and 16: Architecture layer.
How could we defined Memtables and SStables? What the two 'S' stand for
in SSTable?

Thanks a lot
Alex