From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: cassandra over hbase
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:02:34 GMT
On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 15:50 -0800, Adam Fisk wrote:
> I'm trying to navigate the rapidly shifting tides in NoSQL land, and
> I'm particularly struggling with using Cassandra versus HBase. They
> functionally seem quite similar to me even if the implementations are
> quite different.
>
> What would people on the list say are the primary reasons to use
> Cassandra over HBase? HA and speed are very important for my
> application. HBase's tighter integration with Hadoop and therefore
> easier reporting and analytics using M/R appeals to me, but I
> intuitively prefer the Cassandra community and generally like the
> architectural approach. HBase's Hadoop foundations also strike me as
> both an advantage and a disadvantage, as it seems to tie their hands a
> bit.

For myself it would be:

* The flexibility to choose between consistency and availability.
* No single points of failure, (every node is identical).
* Linear scalability (i.e 20 nodes gives you 2x what 10 does, etc).

There are some comparisons out there, some more reasonable than others,
I recommend this one:

http://www.rackspacecloud.com/blog/2009/11/09/nosql-ecosystem/

--
Eric Evans