On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Christopher McKenzie <cmckenzie@iizuu.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm kind of new to cassandra.  In my application, testing for existence is quite usual.  For instance, someone gives me say, a URL, and if it doesn't exist, I am ok with that.  This will be the usual case.  Existence may only happen like 20% of the time.

I was thinking this would be fine, until I saw that the thrift API *throws and exception* if a key doesn't exist.

If you are talking about a key (row) and not a column, no exception will be raised.  This operation will be blazingly fast in the case that it does not exist.

-Brandon