Simon,

   I understand what you're saying and tend to agree with that philosophy.  I think the issue has more to do with the undocumentedness (if thats not a word, it should be) of the Perl Thrift/Cassandra API in general.  That is something I hope to change in the near future.  Timeouts are definitely something I am going to make sure gets noted when I write up some code examples as well.

-e