From Edmond Lau <edm...@ooyala.com>
Subject why doesn't get_slice() support reading a slice of columns from a slice of supercolumns?
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2009 19:20:47 GMT
The get_slice() API takes a ColumnParent and a predicate, which means
that I can either 1) pick one super column and slice its constituent
subcolumns or 2) slice the super columns and pick up all constituent
subcolumns.  What I'd like to do instead is to take a slice of
supercolumns and then a slice of columns within those supercolumns.

With the current API design, this would involve issuing multiple
get_slice calls, one for each super column that I want.  Supporting
this with one call doesn't seem like a limitation of the data model,
but rather of the thrift api.  It seems like get_slice could take in a
pair of optional predicates instead, one for the supercolumn and one
for the column.  Granted, the semantics of a parameter like "count"
would be harder to understand with two slice predicates.

Is this functionality not supported because no one else had a use for it (yet)?

Thanks,
Edmond