From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Stopping Cassandra gracefully
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:22:57 GMT
Killing the process is the recommended way.  If you want to be 100%
sure no data that has been acked is lost, use CommitLogSync=batch.
Otherwise, as much as CommitLogSyncPeriodInMS of the most recent
writes may be lost (but in a clustered situation, will be on other
replicas).

More about this kind of system design (called "crash only," meaning
"no graceful shutdown"), if you're curious:
http://lwn.net/Articles/191059/
http://dslab.epfl.ch/pubs/crashonly/crashonly.pdf