From Jonathan Ellis <>
Subject Re: Stopping Cassandra gracefully
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:22:57 GMT
Killing the process is the recommended way.  If you want to be 100%
sure no data that has been acked is lost, use CommitLogSync=batch.
Otherwise, as much as CommitLogSyncPeriodInMS of the most recent
writes may be lost (but in a clustered situation, will be on other

More about this kind of system design (called "crash only," meaning
"no graceful shutdown"), if you're curious:

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Johannes Schaback
<> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am currently stopping my (single!) Cassandra node by ctrl+c in my
> bash console. From what I believe to know about the internals of
> Cassandra is the risk of data loss/inconsistency relatively small. Is
> that still correct for stopping Cassadra this way?
> Is there a recommended way to shut down cassandra?
> Thanks
> Johannes

View raw message