From Mark Robson <mar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Search and ACL
Date Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:01:37 GMT
2009/9/13 <contact@shahan.me>

>  How exactly does the search work? Is it similar to fulltext searching?

No.

There are two ways you can find stuff - either by exact key (key must be
exactly right, it's byte-based), or (if you're using the
OrderPreservingPartitioner) a key range scan.

In the case of a key range scan you specify the start / end keys and it
lists the keys which exist (up to a specified limit) in that CF in that
range, ordered by key.

> What type of username/password security is there? (for example sharing a
> Cassandra db between applications, and isolating their access controls)
>
> There is none. Cassandra clusters allow any operation for anyone who can
make a connection to any node in the cluster.

A Cassandra cluster used by multiple applications just has to trust them not
to trash each others' data.

A Cassandra cluster used by multiple applications, in any case, requires the
admin to set up the storage-conf.xml to contain the set of Keyspaces / CFs
etc required by all the applications, which needs to be the same on all the
nodes, so a certain amount of careful control and cooperation is required.

I can only really see a case where an instance would be used by multiple
applications, if they were fundamentally under the control (software-release
wise) of the same team of developers and ops engineers, otherwise change
control would be a disaster. There is no analogue of CREATE TABLE / ALTER
TABLE as supported by RDBMSs.

Mark