From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: random n00b question
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:40:04 GMT
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 5:05 AM, Eric Bowman <ebowman@boboco.ie> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just getting started looking at Cassandra, and wondering if is a
> possible fit around the shape of the problem we think we need to solve. :)
>
> In a nutshell, what I'm wondering is whether it would be possible to use
> Cassandra as front-end kind of session database, with commits eventually
> (offline?) trickled serially into a legacy SQL database.

I'd probably use some kind of queue-based approach so that you're not
blocking on the SQL db, but you don't have to repeatedly scan
Cassandra looking for stuff to pull over.

Other than "if your SQL db can't handle write + read load now, it
probably won't be able to handle write load soon enough" I don't see
any fundamental problems here. :)

-Jonathan