From <cont...@shahan.me>
Subject Re: Got Logo?
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2009 05:05:32 GMT

+1

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:09:36 -0700, Sal Fuentes  wrote:

Glad to
see someone take charge on this. This sounds like a great idea.

 On Mon,
Sep 21, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Eric Evans  wrote:

 I've watched
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-231 [2] evolve
 and can't
see anything approaching consensus. I can think of two reasons
 for this,
1) it is subjective and tastes vary, and 2) there aren't any
 logos that
strike a chord in the community. I'm betting that in fact
 it's a bit of
both, so...

 I propose we widen the field a bit and run a contest on
99designs.com [3]. I
 am volunteering to setup and administer the contest,
and Rackspace has
 graciously offered to front the cost.

 Once we've
widened the field a bit, I propose we call a vote, but
 instead of the
typical show of +1s, we use the condorcet method
 instead.

 The condorcet
voting system is ideal for this sort of thing because it
 takes all of your
preferences into account, not just the choice you
 prefer most. Condorcet
is good at finding the best compromise; it's
 possible to have a winner
that is no ones first choice, but is the least
 disagreeable to the
majority. Wikipedia has a decent page on condorcet
 voting
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method [4]), and there is at
 least
one online application that we could use

(http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html [5]).

 What does everyone
think?

 --