From Anthony Molinaro <antho...@alumni.caltech.edu>
Subject Re: Configuring multiple nodes
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2009 21:46:31 GMT

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:08:41AM -0500, Eric Evans wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 20:46 -0700, Anthony Molinaro wrote:
> > One other gotcha I've come across trying to use jmx was on machines
> > with multiple interfaces.  The rmi server doesn't always bind to the
> > one you want.  I add this to my JVM_OPTS in cassandra.in.sh
>
> Interesting. It always binds to all interfaces for me. If that's not
> what others see, than I wonder what determines that behavior.

I think by default it uses the ip address of "localhost" which is fine
if you have a local jconsole.

http://download.java.net/jdk7/docs/technotes/guides/rmi/javarmiproperties.html

I tend to always use a remote jconsole so the rmi server needs to be bound
to the correct interface.  I saw something mentioning that rmi hardcodes
the ip in the stubs it generates and hands out.

-Anthony

Anthony Molinaro                           <anthonym@alumni.caltech.edu>