From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Server cannot startup after shutdown
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:16:39 GMT
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:03 AM, Brian Frank
Cooper<cooperb@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Hi, Jonathan,
>
> I have been trying to shutdown and restart Cassandra again this morning. I still get
the malformed entry bug (which you say below your patch fixes.) I also get:

> ERROR - Exception encountered during startup.
> java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException

That could be a related problem.  Or it might be a different bug. :)
Is the commitlog small enough that you can gzip it and attach to JIRA
(10 MB limit)?

> No out of memory error this time, though.
>
> I'm also curious about your comment "I introduced a regression where it couldn't handle
the last entry in the commitlog being incomplete." Does the last entry in the commit log being
incomplete mean that the last update or set of updates are not fully committed to the log?
And therefore they are lost? I thought since I had set "<CommitLogSync>true</CommitLogSync>"
that all updates would be fully flushed before returning to the caller.

Right, but you can still have an incomplete write in progress if you
shut down while writes are still happening.

-Jonathan