Mark and Jonathan

I have started cassandra on 4 servers with all 4 of them as seeds

how do i know all 4 are now part of the datastore

are there ways to test this

thanks a lot

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Mark Robson <markxr@gmail.com> wrote:
1. If you only have 3 production servers, Cassandra may not do much for you. You will probably only care if you have lots more servers. 3 servers is a reasonable minimum for a test / dev environment

At How many servers does cassandra start really performing?
or how many servers is an ideal setup say for a game 10?

It can use any number, three is probably a reasonable minimum, I don't know what the maximum is.

If you have a small number of servers, there is probably no reason to use Cassandra; you can more usefully use a conventional database with replication or sharding.

The reason you might want to use Cassandra is to scale writes a lot, to levels you couldn't reach with more "conventional" databases.

In all likelihood, an application would use Cassandra to store high-volume high-write data alongside a more conventional database to store smaller, less frequently changing stuff.

It appears to me that Cassandra 0.3 is only really useful if running on a homogenous cluster of dedicated servers with reasonable amounts of memory / storage (But not necessarily high spec servers of CPU, IO speed or internal redundancy).

Once the load balancing is implemented in 0.5 (according to current plans) it will become more useful for heterogenous environments.

Mark

--
Bidegg worlds best auction site
http://bidegg.com