From Mark Robson <mar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: lazy boy example using column family
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2009 07:38:41 GMT
2009/7/27 <mobiledreamers@gmail.com>

> i m trying to use cassandra in a mode where everytime i create a new
> columnfamily i do not want to restart all the nodes

In my opinion you should not be doing that anyway.

Because families can have as many columns as you like anyway, it should not
normally be necessary to create new families. And when you do, it will
probably be part of a major release that will have some impact on your
infrastructure.

You should define an operational procedure for restarting all the nodes for
occasional use by ops engineers; they could choose to automate it.

Restarting all nodes isn't that onerous provided it's not done too often.
It's not going to take > a few hours, even if you have quite a few.

Mark