From Michael Greene <michael.gre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hadoop + cassandra
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:26:04 GMT
Cassandra does not need Hadoop for functionality and is a "standalone" project.

Hadoop is many things.  One of those is HDFS, which as you describe is
a GFS clone.  Hadoop also includes a MapReduce implementation, job
tracking, and various other services that a distributed system using
it would need.

Some people are trying to allow the MapReduce and job components from
Hadoop to operate on data from Cassandra.  Nobody that I know of is
working on any project that would make Hadoop a dependency of
Cassandra or that would have Cassandra use HDFS for storage (this
would destroy most of Cassandra's advantages for data storage).

Michael