From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra package for Debian
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 23:34:35 GMT
On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 18:54 +0100, Johan Oskarsson wrote:
> It seems the initd script points JAVA_HOME to openjdk, should the
> package not depend on the openjdk package?

The actual dependency is openjdk-6-jre-headless (>= 6b11) |
java6-runtime, where java6-runtime is a virtual package provided by a
number of JVMs. It's listed that way because openjdk is the only option
which is included in main; it's the only dependency guaranteed to be
satisfiable.

Basically, if you want something else, you need to first install
something that Provides java6-runtime (sun-java6-jdk for example).

> I tried it out on Ubuntu with sun-java6-jdk installed which didn't
> work
> out of the box. Not a major problem though.

Right JAVA_HOME will have to be configured whenever you're using
anything other than the openjdk package. Configuring it is as easy as
defining JAVA_HOME in /etc/default/cassandra, but I should have at least
included a commented entry to make that more clear. I'll make sure to
get that fixed in the next upload. Thanks for bringing it to my
attention.

By the way, it's worth mentioning that I use openjdk for development and
testing of cassandra, and it works like a champ! :)

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com