From Thorsten von Eicken <...@rightscale.com>
Subject Re: questions about operations
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 15:01:28 GMT
Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Thorsten von Eicken <tve@rightscale.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at the cassandra data model and operations and I'm running into
>> a number of questions I have not been able to answer:
>>
>> - what does get_columns_since do? I thought there's only one version of a
>> column stored. I'm puzzled about the "since" aspect.
>>

> this is for use with time-sorted CFs or supercolumns -- it's like a
> slice by time.

Ah, got it, I forgot about the time-sorted CFs. So does this mean that
if I call get_columns_since on a name-sorted CF I will get an invalid
request exception? And also if I call get_slice_by_name_range or
get_slice_by_names on a time-sorted CF? Or does the sorting only affect
performance and not whether the operations are allowed or not?

Also, is there no get_slice_super_since and get_slice_super_by_name_range?

Jonathan and Mark: thanks for the clarifications!
Thorsten