From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some questions.
Date Sat, 02 May 2009 12:45:32 GMT
On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Manuel Crotti
<manuel.crotti@ing.unibs.it> wrote:
> Now I have some questions:
> 1. each "storage-conf.xml" should contain just one of the above
> ip-addresses (obviously not the localhost's IP address) in the <Seeds>
> section to let cassandra learn the whole topology? Or it must contain the
> whole list?

Just pick one of the public IPs to be seed.

> 2. how can I see if the nodes of the cluster are "talking" (some logfile,
> ...)? (I supposed to find it into the localhost:7002 interface but i see
> just a host -localhost -  and I suppose hosts are not "talking")

If it is working each :7002 will show all the nodes.

> 3. What should differ between the  "storage-conf.xml" files of each node?
> 3.1. the "storage-conf.xml" of each node should contain the table structure
> to replicate/propagate the information of the data of a table?

Right.  The only thing you that should be different is the
ListenAddress section.  (You can try leaving that out and Cassandra
will pick an interface to use but it often guesses a non-public
interface which is not helpful. :)

> 3.2 finally: should I start a cluster with an empty DB or I can replicate an
> existing DB?

You can start from an existing one if it's really legitimate for all
nodes to have copies of that data but it probably is not.

> I also submit a couple of errors that raised using the command-line client:

Okay, so the problems are that (1) it thinks it is connected when it
is not, and (2) it allows you to run commands when it is not
connected.  Right?  Can you file those in the issue tracker?
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA

thanks,

-Jonathan