From Manuel Crotti <manuel.cro...@ing.unibs.it>
Subject Re: Some questions.
Date Sat, 02 May 2009 16:20:20 GMT
Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for the fast reply.

[cut]
> Right.  The only thing you that should be different is the
> ListenAddress section.  (You can try leaving that out and Cassandra
> will pick an interface to use but it often guesses a non-public
> interface which is not helpful. :)

Changed to public interface, now it shows all the nodes.
:)

>> 3.2 finally: should I start a cluster with an empty DB or I can
>> replicate an
>> existing DB?
>
> You can start from an existing one if it's really legitimate for all
> nodes to have copies of that data but it probably is not.

Ok, since each node had the same token (and sounded quite strange), I
emptied the /var/cassandra folder.
Restarting the service, each node took a different token.

Was it correct?

Now a strange thing (please be patient, I'm a newbie):

Inserted a set of pairs (data,key) running "cassandra-cli" from host
10.0.1.1

Then:

./bin/cassandra-cli --host 10.0.1.2

cassandra> get Table1.Standard1['foo']
COLUMN_TIMESTAMP = 1241219309914; COLUMN_VALUE = data; COLUMN_KEY = bar;
COLUMN_TIMESTAMP = 1241218702595; COLUMN_VALUE = data2; COLUMN_KEY =
bar2;
COLUMN_TIMESTAMP = 1241211956945; COLUMN_VALUE = data3; COLUMN_KEY =
bar3;

then:

./bin/cassandra-cli --host 10.0.1.3

cassandra> get Table1.Standard1['foo']
COLUMN_TIMESTAMP = 1241219309914; COLUMN_VALUE = data; COLUMN_KEY = bar;
COLUMN_TIMESTAMP = 1241218702595; COLUMN_VALUE = data2; COLUMN_KEY =
bar2;
COLUMN_TIMESTAMP = 1241211956945; COLUMN_VALUE = data3; COLUMN_KEY =
bar3;

Ok, it's GREAT (I'm querying the cluster from different servers, right?)

If I try the same via web interface, it works only on nodes 10.0.1.1
and 10.0.1.3.

"Success: Key = foo
"
on 10.0.1.2: "Error: Key [foo], column family [Standard1] not found."

Any idea?

>> I also submit a couple of errors that raised using the command-line
>> client:
>
> Okay, so the problems are that (1) it thinks it is connected when it
> is not, and (2) it allows you to run commands when it is not
> connected.  Right?

Not exactly.
"show config file" causes the client disconnection from each of the
nodes.
I'll take a look into the issue tracker.

>  Can you file those in the issue tracker?
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA
>
> thanks,
>
> -Jonathan

BR,