From Mark Papadakis <markuspapada...@me.com>
Subject Re: C* engine
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2013 19:31:29 GMT
There is a _lot_ of room for performance improvements, both in terms of design decisions but
even more so in terms of implementation specifics on there.

I don’t think it makes sense (any kind of sense) to rewrite to C or any other language,
given the amount of work and(perhaps most importantly) testing that was put on C* so far,
but, choosing a different language is not what’s most important here in terms of extracting
performance; improving existing codebase is the right thing to do, however, as I understand
it, improving what’s already there in terms of stability and conformance and releasing new
features is a higher priority item for the developers, for now. It will happen though.

Mark Papadakis

On Dec 19, 2013, at 9:22 PM, Roman Vasilyev <rvasilyev@netflix.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Don't want to rise "holy war". Just let me share my crazy thoughts.
> I believe it could improve Cassandra speed and robustness.
>
> What people will say if I propose to have Cassandra engine written in C/C++, and this
engine will give you ability to run extensions in Java, Groovy and bunch other languages like
Perl/Python/Ruby?