From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: I don't understand shuffle progress
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2013 01:04:19 GMT
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Juan Manuel Formoso <jformoso@gmail.com>wrote:

> Any better alternatives than creating a small application that reads from
> one cluster and inserts in the new one that anybody can suggest?

http://www.palominodb.com/blog/2012/09/25/bulk-loading-options-cassandra

In theory if you wanted to do the "copy-the-files" method while enabling
vnodes on the target cluster, you could :

1) create new target cluster with vnodes enabled
2) fork writes so they go to both source and target cluster
3) copy 100% of sstables from all source nodes to all target nodes (being
sure to ensure non-collision of sstables of names, probably by adding a few
hundreds/thousands to the sequence of various nodes in a predictable
fashion)
4) be certain that you did not accidentally resurrect data from purged
source sstables in 3)
5) run cleanup compaction on all nodes in target cluster
6) turn off writes to old source cluster

=Rob
* notes that this process would make a good blog post.. :D