From Vivek Mishra <vivek.mis...@yahoo.com>
Subject Fw: Fwd: CQL & Thrift
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:05:46 GMT
fyi. Just curious to know the real reason behind "not to mix thrift and CQL3".

Any pointers?

-Vivek

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vivek Mishra <mishra.vivs@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Subject: Re: CQL & Thrift
To: user@cassandra.apache.org

Hi,
I understand that, but i want to understand the reason behind such behavior?  Is it because
of maintaining different metadata objects for CQL3 and thrift?

Any suggestion?

-Vivek

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Jon Haddad <jon@jonhaddad.com> wrote:

If you're going to work with CQL, work with CQL.  If you're going to work with Thrift, work
with Thrift.  Don't mix.

>On Aug 30, 2013, at 10:38 AM, Vivek Mishra <mishra.vivs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Hi,
>>If i a create a table with CQL3 as
>>

>>create table user(user_id text PRIMARY KEY, first_name text, last_name text, emailid
text);

>>and create index as:
>>create index on user(first_name);
>>

>>then inserted some data as:
>>insert into user(user_id,first_name,last_name,"emailId") values('@mevivs','vivek','mishra','vivek.mishra@impetus.co.in');
>>

>>Then if update same column family using Cassandra-cli as:
>>

>>update column family user with key_validation_class='UTF8Type' and column_metadata=[{column_name:last_name,
validation_class:'UTF8Type', index_type:KEYS},{column_name:first_name, validation_class:'UTF8Type',
index_type:KEYS}];

>>Now if i connect via cqlsh and explore user table, i can see column first_name,last_name
are not part of table structure anymore. Here is the output: