From Łukasz Dywicki <l...@code-house.org>
Subject Configuration of network connectors
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 13:02:15 GMT
Hello,
First of all I would like to say hello to cassandra user and developer community. :)

I write because we are using Cassandra in our unit tests and we have some troubles with network
connectivity. We ca not run multiple cassandra instances during tests because we would need
to randomize configuration of port and so on. For now if we try to fork our tests we get "address
already in use" on one from two ports - native or thrift. In other apache projects we can
"VM" connectors (ActiveMQ, Camel, Mina) based on in-memory queue. I took some time to see
how CassandraDaemon starts servers and it's kinda of hardcoded. I thought about changing configuration
to be more like:

servers:
  - class org.apache.cassandra.thrift.ThriftServer
  - class org.apache.cassandra.transport.Server

Then we will be able to disable these servers for unit tests:
servers:
  - class org.apache.cassandra.vm.VmServer

This requires some small changes in daemon code and client libraries. I'm not really deeply
involved in cassandra stuff so I don't know the internal architecture and implications thus
I look forward for you to discuss this topic.

Cheers,
Łukasz Dywicki
--
luke@code-house.org