From Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configuration of network connectors
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 13:22:03 GMT
Have you seen https://github.com/pcmanus/ccm as described in http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/ccm-a-development-tool-for-creating-local-cassandra-clusters
or does that not fit your use case?

On 9 Jul 2013, at 14:02, Łukasz Dywicki <luke@code-house.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> First of all I would like to say hello to cassandra user and developer community. :)
>
> I write because we are using Cassandra in our unit tests and we have some troubles with
network connectivity. We ca not run multiple cassandra instances during tests because we would
need to randomize configuration of port and so on. For now if we try to fork our tests we
get "address already in use" on one from two ports - native or thrift. In other apache projects
we can "VM" connectors (ActiveMQ, Camel, Mina) based on in-memory queue. I took some time
to see how CassandraDaemon starts servers and it's kinda of hardcoded. I thought about changing
configuration to be more like:

> servers:
>  - class org.apache.cassandra.thrift.ThriftServer
>  - class org.apache.cassandra.transport.Server
>
> Then we will be able to disable these servers for unit tests:
> servers:
>  - class org.apache.cassandra.vm.VmServer
>
> This requires some small changes in daemon code and client libraries. I'm not really
deeply involved in cassandra stuff so I don't know the internal architecture and implications
thus I look forward for you to discuss this topic.