From "Mahony, Robin" <Robin.Mah...@netapp.com>
Subject Re: [Cassandra] Replacing a cassandra node with one of the same IP
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 21:52:16 GMT
Please note that I am currently using version 1.2.2 of Cassandra.  Also we are using virtual
nodes.

My question mainly stems from the fact that the nodes appear to be aware that the node uuid
changes for the IP (from reading the logs), so I am just wondering if this means the hinted
handoffs are also updated to reflect the new Cassandra node uuid. If that was the case, I
would not think a nodetool cleanup would be necessary.

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com<mailto:rcoli@eventbrite.com>>
To: user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>; Emalayan Vairavanathan
<svemalayan@yahoo.com<mailto:svemalayan@yahoo.com>>
Sent: Thursday, 20 June 2013 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [Cassandra] Replacing a cassandra node

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Emalayan Vairavanathan
<svemalayan@yahoo.com<mailto:svemalayan@yahoo.com>> wrote:
> In the case where replace a cassandra node (call it node A) with another one
> that has the exact same IP (ie. during a node failure), what exactly should
> we do?  Currently I understand that we should at least run "nodetool
> repair".

If you lost the data from the node, then what you want is "replace_token."

If you didn't lose the data from the node (and can tolerate stale
reads until the repair completes) you want to start the node with
auto_bootstrap set to false and then repair.

=Rob