From Emalayan Vairavanathan <svemala...@yahoo.com>
Subject Creating namespace and column family from multiple nodes concurrently
Date Thu, 23 May 2013 00:52:07 GMT
Hi all,

I am implementing a distributed application which runs on 100s of machines concurrently. This
application is going to use Cassandra as underlaying storage.

The application creates the schema (name space and column families) during initialization
phase.  It seems I have two options to create the schema.

Option - 1 : Using a single node for schema creation.
        Option - 2: Having all the nodes (> 100) to run the same schema creation logic
(First, nodes will check whether the schema is already available and then try to create the
schema if it is not available already).

To keep the initialization phase simple, I prefer to go for Option - 2. However I am not sure
how Cassandra is going to behave if multiple nodes try to create the same schema (namespace
and column families) concurrently. It would be nice if someone can tell me about the implications
of Option - 2 with Cassandra version 1.2.2.

Please let me know if you have question.

Thank you
VE