From William Katsak <wkat...@cs.rutgers.edu>
Subject Question about Streaming
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 20:11:50 GMT
Hello,

I am working on some modifications of Cassandra in an academic setting
(research code, not for a class), and have a question regarding bulk
streaming of data across the network (e.g. between nodes).

Assume that I have some known set of key/column family combos that are
known good/current on a node A, and known stale on a node B (forget
about hinted handoff, etc. assume that this mechanism isn't being used).
I can obviously bring these up to date on B by using anti-entropy
repair, but this checks all the data and is CPU/time intensive. I have
written code that brings this data up to date using the same mechanism
as read repair (e.g. an item at a time), and this works fine, but is
inefficient.

What I am interested in doing is something in between. I want to bulk
stream a series of updates between nodes like anti-entropy does, but I
want the data that is sent to only be part of the specific itemized set
that I am interested in.

Is this something that is possible to do with the current code that
exists, assuming that I already have code that keeps track of this set
of stale data?

Advice is much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Bill Katsak