From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slf4j
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2012 15:14:36 GMT
On 22 November 2012 17:51, Radim Kolar <hsn@filez.com> wrote:

> instead of this:
>
>        if (logger.isDebugEnabled())
>             logger.debug("INDEX LOAD TIME for " + descriptor + ": " +
> (System.currentTimeMillis() - start) + " ms.");
>
> do this:
>             logger.debug("INDEX LOAD TIME for {} : {} ms.", descriptor,
> (System.currentTimeMillis() - start));

Yes, but until/unless the JVM elides the function call because that logger
is not enabled fro debug, you will incur the penalty of new
Object[]{string,new Long(System.currentTimeMillis() - start).

On top of that, when debug is enabled you incur the cost of formatting the
string, including the {} search & replace.

On a long running production system, you are correct that it should
*eventually* be equivalent, and I am not saying one way or the other
whether this should/shouldn't be changed... more just pointing out that
there are consequences to what might appear to be a trivial change... I'll
let the c* devs chime in as to what their strong opinion is in this regard
as they should have more experience handling high loads and I would love to
know which pattern I should be using in my code (FWIW I tend to favour your
approach to the if (debugEnabled) guard... but I always wonder ;-) )

-Stephen