From John Sanda <>
Subject Changes for CQL drivers
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2012 15:43:22 GMT
I have been using the cassandra-jdbc driver for development. I using it
with Cassandra 1.1.6 and then recently I upgraded to 1.2.0 beta1. A lot of
my automated tests started failing after the upgrade, and then I upgraded
to beta2 with the same results. I should note that I did update my
dependencies in cassandra-jdbc to the beta2 versions. I took
queries/inserts from failing tests, ran them in cqlsh, and got the expected
results. I am aware of some of changes/features with the new CQL wire
protocol; so, in a local branch I updated the driver to
use org.apache.cassandra.transport.SimpleClient. This involved a couple
hacks like putting a copy of my cassandra.yaml on my tests classpath and
using a hard-coded value for the consistency level arg in
SimpleClient.execute and SimpleClient.executePrepared. With those changes
and enabling the native protocol on the server I got my tests passing.

Earlier today I came across
the users list. I am using the JDBC driver for client code, and I am
a point now where I am blocked with the aforementioned issues. Are there
already changes underway to add support for using the native protocol in
the driver? Is the driver discussed in that presentation going to be a
replacement for the existing JDBC driver or will it be a replacement for
the Cassandra.Client instance to which the driver delegates requests? I am
reluctant to move forward with my local changes and/or open a feature
request on the cassandra-jdbc project for native protocol support if there
is already work underway.

It is also worth mentioning that I have submitted a patch to Liquibase[1]
to enable support for Cassandra. If/when my patch is applied then I will be
able to write an extension to provide Cassandra support. I want to keep
abreast of any major CQL/driver changes so that I can plan for them as
necessary with my Liquibase plugin.

- John