From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject 6 months a more realistic release cycle?
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:57:05 GMT
After the 0.7 release we decided to shoot for a fixed four-month
release cycle.  I think now is a good time to re-evaluate this, and
possibly change to target a six month cycle:

- Speaking for DataStax, about half our time is spent on maintenance.
Given this, a 3 month window just isn't much time to work on some of
the larger features we have planned.

- Most of the schedule slip has been in our post-freeze QA period.  A
six month cycle would allow a more realistic 6 or even 8 weeks of QA,
while still expanding the dev window.

- Cassandra has matured enough that there is less low-hanging fruit to
pick; two potential upgrades per year feels better matched to that,
than three.

- The reality has been that 0.8, 1.0, and 1.1 took about 5, 5.5, and 6
months, respectively.  So in a sense, officially making it a 6-month
cycle would only be acknowledging reality anyway.

Thoughts?

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra