From David Alves <davidral...@gmail.com>
Subject implementation choice with regard to multiple range slice query filters
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 04:19:51 GMT
Hi guys

	I'm a PhD student and I'm trying to dip my feet in the water wrt to cassandra development,
as I'm a long time fan.
	I'm implementing CASSANDRA-3885 which pertains to supporting returning multiple slices of
a row.

	After looking around at the portion of the code that is involved two implementation options
come to mind and I'd like to get feedback from you on whichever you think might work best
(or even if I'm in the right track).

	As a first approach I simply subclassed SliceQueryFilter (setting start and finish to firstRange.start
and lastRange.finish) and made the subclass not return the elements in between the ranges
(spinning to the first element of the next range whenever the final element of the previous
was found). This approach only uses one IndexedSliceReader but it scans from firstRange.start
to lastRange.finish.

	Still when I was finishing It came to mind that in cases where the filter's selectivity is
very low i.e., the ranges are a sparse selection of the total number of columns, I might be
doing a full row scan for nothing, so another option came to mind: an iterator of iterators
where I use multiple IndexedSliceReader's for each of the required slice ranges and simply
iterate though them.

	Which do you think is the better option? Am I making any sense, or am I completely off track?

	Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
David Ribeiro Alves