From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: RFC: Cassandra Virtual Nodes
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:54:33 GMT
> You would have to iterate through all sstables on the system to repair one
> vnode, yes: but building the tree for just one range of the data means that
> huge portions of the sstables files can be skipped. It should scale down
> linearly as the number of vnodes increases (ie, with 100 vnodes, it will
> take 1/100th the time to repair one vnode).

The story is less good for "nodetool cleanup" however, which still has
to truck over the entire dataset.

(The partitions/buckets in my crush-inspired scheme addresses this by
allowing that each ring segment, in vnode terminology, be stored
separately in the file system.)

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode, http://worldmodscode.wordpress.com)