From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Document storage
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:23:15 GMT
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Jeremiah Jordan
<JEREMIAH.JORDAN@morningstar.com> wrote:
> Its not clear what 3647 actually is, there is no code attached, and no real example in
it.

> Aside from that, the reason this would be useful to me (if we could get indexing of attributes
working), is that I already have my data in JSON/Thrift/ProtoBuff, depending how large the
data is, it isn't trivial to break it up into columns to insert, and re-assemble into columns
to read.

I don't understand the problem.  Assuming Cassandra support for maps
and lists, I could write a Python module that takes json (or thrift,
or protobuf) objects and splits them into Cassandra rows by fields in
a couple hours.  I'm pretty sure this is essentially what Brian's REST
api for Cassandra does now.

I think this is a much better approach because that gives you the
ability to update or retrieve just parts of objects efficiently,
rather than making column values just blobs with a bunch of special
case logic to introspect them.  Which feels like a big step backwards
to me.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra