From Radim Kolar <>
Subject Re: RFC: Cassandra Virtual Nodes
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:23:53 GMT

> Hi Radim,
> The number of virtual nodes for each host would be configurable by the
> user, in much the same way that initial_token is configurable now. A host
> taking a larger number of virtual nodes (tokens) would have proportionately
> more of the data. This is how we anticipate support for heterogeneity in
> cluster hardware.
Yes, but this is good only for random partitioner. For ordered you need
to be able split token space on highly loaded servers. With virtual
tokens it will move load to random node.
What if random node will be also hotspot node? Administration will be
more difficult because you don't know where workload lands after you
reduce number of tokens held by node.

View raw message